Monday, April 20, 2009

Only in the Flaming Household

So I am at work, when someone hands me the phone: "I think it's for you."

I pick up the phone, "Hello?"

"Mom, it's Caleb. (sniff,sniff). I have diarrhea. (sniff,cry, sniff)."

"Ok, Sweetie. I'll come get you and take you home, Honey."

"Ok. But, Mom, I AM at home."

"What?!?"

"I walked home (cry, sniff, sniff)."

"You WALKED home??? Does anybody know this at school?"

"No."

"Ok, stay there. I'll be there in a few minutes."

From that moment my mind began racing, wondering how in the world he managed to leave the school grounds without anybody seeing him!! What were his teacher and the secretaries thinking? Was there a search party going already? Did the nurse just send him walking?!? Surely not!

I called the school, and NO, they did NOT know he was gone! Good grief! I got home as soon as I could, and he was on the couch, opposite Anna Mary, who is home with a cold.

When I began to question him (gently, mind you because I know better than to force ANYTHING out of this kid), he told me some cockamamie story about how he went to the nurse but he couldn't remember what she said...

I just could not imagine him walking out the front door and no one seeing him. I called the school back, and was able to talk to the principal, who told me what seems to have really happened up until Caleb went AWOL. I told him Caleb was still crying and I needed to let him calm down before I got the whole story from him. Everyone was just glad that he was home safely.
Sooo, I called Caleb to my room once again, and calmly and lovingly got the real story: his class was next door watching a math video. His tummy hurt so he asked to go to the bathroom. His teacher gave him a bathroom pass, which he went and put on HIS desk, went potty, then because he had the big "D", he went back to his room, got his jacket and backpack and quietly went out the back door of his classroom and walked home! There WAS no nurse involved. All I could do was hold him and tell him that everyone was just so glad he was ok, and all the typical things you have to tell your kid about WHY we stay at school, etc., and that the police are on their way to take him to juvie. (JK) :)

The principal did tell me that he wants to talk with Caleb tomorrow. It's all good. This man is a great Christian guy who is FOR our kids.

Why me, Lord?

6 comments:

NanaBlue said...

Oh my goodness!! So glad he's safe, but really worrisome that no one had missed him yet!!! I think the Principal needs talking too along with your son!!! Glad all worked out!!!!

Becky said...

Funny,funny, funny! I laugh now, but, I know with five kids, my time is coming!

Becky said...

I'm glad he's ok, too! What's up with that school that they didn't realize that a student was missing?

Bekah said...

That is such a funny and scary story all at the same time! Oh my word! Craziness! Hope Caleb is feeling better today.
By the way: how far of a walk was that for you little guy?

Mom Keena said...

I hope you live real close to the school, so Caleb made it home without needing another bathroom pass.

AfricaBleu said...

Baha. That's one for the wedding table conversation, eh? I'm glad he's safe--and hope he is feeling better.