Saturday, October 18, 2008

Packing and Storm Troopers

Today we packed, and packed, and cleaned, and packed. We have 14 days left, and are doing pretty good. Anna has moved in with the boys for the next couple of weeks. We got her room completely cleaned out. Jarrod and I both knew that her room would take longer than any other room in the house because she is...well, I'll put it nicely: a pack-rat.

The boys' room is empty except for three mattresses, and a suitcase for each. This makes life so much easier for us as moving day gets closer.
Just the thought of having dear friends coming to help move us out of this house and drive it to Newton, KS makes my heart smile! To know that you're loved and wanted is the best feeling in the world.

I have two more weeks of piano lessons. I am getting sad at the thought of leaving my 11 students. I feel so badly that they each picked out Christmas songs to learn for our recital, then the next week I had to drop the bomb on them. I hope to start up again in Kansas after Christmas, when we are settled and I have time to catch my breath.

I'm also getting sadder (is that correct grammar?) at the thought of leaving my family. The past three years with my parents close by (Santa Fe) and my older sister here in Alb. have been the best! I'll miss meeting Donna for coffee or lunch on a Friday morning. And I'll miss teaching my niece piano. Ok, I'll stop now, because I'm gonna cry.

Jarrod has two days of work left at the State. Friday, his office gave him a big "going away dinner". They've been such a great group of co-workers, and I know Jarrod's had a huge impact on their lives the past two years. I am so proud of him for sticking it out when the commute was too much to bear or people were less than nice. On the bright side:
NO MORE BUS COOTIES!!!
Oh, on a funny note: we bought a "Storm Trooper" costume for Caleb for Halloween. I've always made their costumes, but this one?? No thanks! So, anyway, he's worn it constantly for 4 days now. He even wore it to the store with me the other day. Why not? People love to see kids dressed up for no reason. Plus, that's the stuff being a kid is made of. He was a little embarrassed once we walked IN the store, but happy, nonetheless. And I?? Well, I was just the proud mother of a storm trooper.

2 comments:

Becky said...

Oh, I so wish I could come and help with the move! I am excited for you guys! Lots of change, lots of goodness, and lots of hope! Yea!

Shan said...

Sounds like you are right on top of all the packing! Good work!! I'm glad you are feeling the Lords direction in this move. It's sooo nice when you know he is directing things.

The Lysol can made me laugh! And the storm trooper is definitely something I can relate to. We bought Jengo Fett for Grahm last year and he wore that thing to death (at 9!). It cost like $40.00 so we made him contribute to the cause as well. Baha. I love it when kids want to do things like that. Heck, I would love to go to the store in costume on some random day but alas, I'm 39. Enjoy your remaining time there!